We’re making exciting changes to our Songwriters’ Open Mic in 2020!
We’re going to do two Open Mic Shootouts per year instead of one – the first will be MAY 30th (the second will be November 27th).
What’s changing is the submission process. Instead of our live Open Mic events, songwriters will submit an original video to EOP for review. (The video has to be created especially for the EOP Open Mic @ Home – it can’t be an existing YouTube/Instagram video).
THE SHORT VERSION:
- We’re no longer doing our twice-monthly Live Songwriters Open Mic events
- The submission process will now be done through video
- To participate, send an original video of an original song to firstname.lastname@example.org
It can’t be an existing YouTube video – it has to be created especially for EOP Open Mic @ Home.
- Same rules as always: original songs only, no more than three performers, acoustic instruments only
- ¾ of the finalists will be selected by Eddie Owen Presents
- ¼ of the finalists will come from fan voting at a live viewing party at Red Clay (May 17th).
- We’ll hold two different Songwriter Shootouts per year (May 30 and November 27). The Shootout winner wins $1,000.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
-Email an original video to openmic@eddieowenpresents.
*INCLUDE: Name, song title, hometown and any website or social media accounts you currently use.
-If the video is too large to email, send it to us using Google Drive or DropBox.
This is not a beauty contest – our ideal video would be: you, wherever you are right now, in front of your phone, playing a great song you wrote.
Extra production work will not help your overall “score” – it’s all about the song.
Here’s a great example from the Duluth duo DEATH BEARD:
– ALL music must be original. No cover songs.
– Since “playing ability” is a judging criteria, all music must be played live.
– The video must be created especially for the 2020 EOP Open Mic. Do not submit videos that were already uploaded to YouTube, Instagram or other video sites/apps.
– The video MUST BE emailed to us or shared via Google Docs or DropBox. By sending it to us you are giving EOP permission to download, edit and re-upload your video. We won’t make any changes to your song (we might put some text with your name and song title) but we need your permission because we’ll be uploading your video to our YouTube channel (youtube.com/eoplive).
– No more than three people per performance.
– No effects, looping, pedals, amps or electronic instruments allowed
– Only acoustic instruments can be used: strings, acoustic guitar/bass, piano and percussion. You can use a keyboard for your submission, but use the “piano” voice/effect.*
– No drum kits. Hand-held percussion and Cajóns are allowed.
*No keyboards during the Shootout – you’ll be able to use the baby grand Hailun piano onstage.
The final deadline for the May 30th Shootout is April 22nd.
Every month we’re going to choose a few songwriters to advance to the Mid-Year Open Mic Shootout. The monthly deadline is the third Sunday of the month. If you miss that deadline you’ll be entered into the next month’s batch. We’ll choose a few videos each month to add to the YouTube Playlist.
The rest of the videos will go into the Crowd Choice event on May 17th. That’ll be a free event here where people can come by, watch videos and vote on their favorite songs.
The Crowd Choice winners will join the ones we selected each month to go on to the Shootout on MAY 30th. There will be a total of 16 artists in the Shootout.
FINAL DEADLINE: April 22th
CROWD CHOICE VIEWING PARTY (Free): May 17th
SHOOTOUT: MAY 30th
- make sure to give EOP “Permissions” to download your video when you upload the file to Google Drive
HOW TO SEND A VIDEO USING DROPBOX:
- Sign in to dropbox.com, and upload your video to your DropBox account
- Click on the file, and click the Share button that appears.
- Enter the email address email@example.com and click Send.
We look forward to hearing your submissions!
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.